Macaws are one of the most beautiful animals on our planet. The striking blue of the hyacinth, to the rich green of the military, to the vibrant red of the scarlet, they are like a rainbow that shines in our eyes. There are known as giants parrot in the world. So how do you train an old flying macaw?
In this post, you’ll learn more about macaw types and how to best train them. Let’s get started!
Types of Macaws
There are different types of macaws available, which includes the following:
1. Scarlet Macaw
This type of macaw has a loud voice and can quite vocal at times.
2. Hahns Macaw
It the combinations of blue and green colors attracts you. Like most macaws, Hanhns macaw is talkative and playful.
3. Hyacinth Macaw
This macaw is the largest among the macaw family. A Hyacinth Macaw is smart.
4. Green-winged Macaw
It’s known as the Gentle Giant second size to the Hyacinth macaw. The Green-winged macaw has very responsive and sensitive. Of all the parrots, macaws considering the largest birds, in length and wingspan.
General Qualities of Macaws
1. Macaws bird is 40 inches long from the head down to the tail. Blue and Gold are one of the macaw family that most popular among pet birds. Macaws have a long tail in their feathers. Also, macaws are very powerful that can open hard nuts and seeds.
2. Macaws classified into two groups, namely the large macaws and the mini macaws. Those 18 living species of macaws are not all adopted by the people.
3. They can live between 30 to 50 years; it depends on their breed. It is normal for the macaws to become aggressive sometimes. Macaws are big size and have vibrant colors.
4. Well-socialized macaws are friendly to humans. These macaws have a long and colorful feathering. In there natural habitat, macaws like to eat native seeds, fruit, nut, flowers, leaves, palm nuts, figs, and also nectar.
5. Everything about the macaw’s bird is big. From their voices and their attitudes. Macaws can love toys that easily they chew up. Especially those items made in hardwood. A macaw pet needs a supply of toys and other safe items that they can play with. Macaws are a very intelligent bird that can do more activities that have a challenge.
How to Train Macaws
Training macaws need a cooperative effort because macaws will know that we are happy to connect with them and not to be aggressive.
Teach them to socialize with the people around you. Each of you in the house should hold the macaw bird in 5 to 10 minutes. It helps the macaw bird become more close to people. Talk to them like when you are talking to your friends.
Here are the ten basic rules for your macaw bird:
1. Never hurt your macaw bird. Macaws bird has emotions, too, just like a human. If you hurt them, you broke their trust so that they will find another home. Never hit your flying macaw so as not to broke the trust between you and your pet.
2. Do not let them feel unloved. Macaws bird needs to be love too.
3. Do not force them. If your macaw bird doesn’t want to do those you want them to do just like tricks or doesn’t perform properly, do not be angry and feel disappointed. Stay silent, and don’t say any words.
4. Train them gently. They will follow you little by little and more chances for quick learning. Experts highly recommend using positive reinforcement. Just say nothing and do not offer a reward or any treat to your bird if it doesn’t perform what you ask him to do.
5. The training time is 10 to 15 minutes. Don’t use too complicated; it will be harder for your macaw bird to learn. Basic movements are enough. Keep training your macaw bird at the same time of the day, so your macaw looks forward to the activities. Make sure to do it consistently every day.
6. Of course, give them a reward. Macaws are food motivated, giving them food reward makes them perform properly. Give them something to eat. Eight, Look straightly to their eyes. Eye to eye. Starring macaw birds makes them inspired, and they will try harder to do impressive actions and tricks.
7. Train your macaw bird if they are focusing on you. It will be easy if no one distracts your macaw while training.
8. Appreciate what your macaw birds do. Tell them they did great even though it’s not good enough. A simple word can do “good boy/good girl. With that, they will not afraid to try and explore more. Tenth, Give them an open cage so that they always feel the fresh air. And cage that tall enough to prevent hit the tail feathers.
9. Keeping sessions shorting only up to a maximum of 20 minutes is already plenty enough to maximize your bird’s training abilities. You can perform two sessions a day. However, make sure to spread the training session out.
10. Be consistent. Don’t take any day-off because the key to the successful training of macaws is consistency. The best rewards are difficult-to-eat treats, such as a huge walnut. Using something that doesn’t have to be cracked and easily broken is highly recommended for additional training.
Video Source: Youtube
Important Tips to Remember When Training Old Flying Macaw
1. Never punish your macaw bird, or else they become afraid of you. If you punished them even though just one time, it destroys the trust you’ve spent on your macaw bird. Macaw birds have a right to live with joy and love.
2. Taking care of every macaw bird is such a good thing as a human being. So, it is important to know the basic guides and the rules for every macaw bird for the successful having it.
3. Macaws bird is so beautiful in our eyes, and they can be our best friends too. So, if we choose a macaw bird to become your pets, we need to take care of them and love them a lot. Let them feel free even though they are in a cage.
4. Also, let them free flight. They also need to flight far away and do what they want. Try not to look them as a pet but look them as one of your best friends. In that way, they will feel that they are not alone.
5. Always remember that all animals need to be treated well because they are also living things and part of our nature that need to live with. Overall, it is important to guide your macaw behavior; it will reflect them what you have done.
Macaw birds are excellent in training, and they are very easy to train. Training your Macaw bird depends first on their trust, so do it slowly and be consistent. Macaw is noisy. Their vocalizations can be loud, playful, and active. Just to remind you that training your macaw bird needs patience. Training birds may require patience and takes a lot of time.