If you are a responsible bird owner, then you must know that it is very important to be able to provide the best bird carrier for each bird that you have the accountability to care for. A bird carrier is a very critical item that you must have on hand in any case that your bird may require a trip to the veterinarian, a medical emergency, as well as the need to be evacuated because of any natural disaster.
Your bird carrier must also serve a different purpose. For example, it can serve as a sleep cage, and it is also great for vacation needs, too.
What to Consider About Choosing A Multi-Purpose Bird Carrier
A bird carrier surely can offer lots of uses that you can have at all given the species of your bird. It can also be influenced by travel requirements and different evacuation needs. Some of the best features to find for in a bird carrier are:
- General car trips
- Trips through an airplane
- A short term stay in a parrot hotel
- Bird evacuation
- Bird sleeping cage
- A few moments outdoors to enjoy the sun
- Hiking and trekking
Where Can You Purchase A Multi-Purpose Bird Carrier
If you are looking to buy a multi-purpose bird carrier, there are many choices that you can enjoy to get for your pet. Many bird carriers are of high quality and are perfect for different types of birds. Some are perfect for medium to large-sized parrots like small cockatoos, mini macaws, conures, Amazons, Pionus, and African greys. Large macaws pose special challenges when they are selecting travel cages because these birds have long tails, and these tails can become broken and frayed when they rub against these against bars and walls.
What Should Owners Look For In A Multi-Purpose Bird Carrier
- A bird carrier travel cage should be easy to lift, easy to clean, and lightweight.
- The carrier cage must have adequate ventilation, but drafts must be kept at a minimum.
- The construction of the bird carrier must be durable and can eliminate any chance of the bird being crushed by any accident.
- Some bird carrier travel cages are made up of thick polycarbonate with various holes throughout its surface, including a wire mesh door.
- The material and design looking like this provide the bird with its needed ventilation, but this will retain the bird’s much-needed warmth as well.
- If it is made up of transparent polycarbonate, the bird will be allowed the ability to observe its surroundings.
- Often times, these types of bird travel cages also come with a “privacy cover” that will sit snuggly on some models. This thing will help bring calm to a nervous bird.
How To Fit A Multi-Purpose Bird Carrier For Your Bird & Your Travel Needs
Each individual bird carrier requires having a good perch. A natural wood perch with a variable diameter that is suitable for many species of birds. It might be the best option to purchase your bird carrier from a customer service friendly company, which matches the size of the perch to your bird species.
Installing a T-perch with a similar diameter bolted to the top of the cage will give the owner a chance to let their bird out to perch and exercise its wings. This exterior perch also serves a different purpose.
Additionally, it will bring your bird much comfort, and an elevated perch can serve as a handle for transporting the bird carrier.
Some portable bird carriers are also made in the style of a backpack. It may also have some back straps that will fit comfortably around the shoulders of the owner. These bird carriers are available in a variation of designs and sizes, which are usually constructed for stainless steel mesh and durable nylon. These bird carriers can work well for nervous birds that are non-chewing that will not ruin the backpacks.
How Should You Familiarize Your Pet Bird To A Bird Carrier
Not all birds act like they are welcome to new things in routine and being adaptable to change. Some birds are eager to stick to their usual living arrangements, and they can also be wary of a new type of a small space that will confine them, regardless if this will just be temporary.
To minimize all possible trouble that you will face when you are first introducing your bird to a new type of environment, you should approach all changes gradually and stay calm all throughout. You should know by now the emotions and personality of your pet bird, and you must be able to know how to adjust with all of these things.
- Once you acquire the bird’s multi-purpose carrier, you should make opening it a unique experience for your bird. You should open the cage while you are next to your bird or next to their cage. This is so you can allow your bird to explore the cage should it feel the need to. After all, your bird will have no idea what the item is and what you will use this item for, so this is a great way to introduce something to your bird without having to make the bird feel threatened.
- Unzip the bird carrier backpack or open the birdcage and leave it somewhere that your bird can easily see. Allow the bird to investigate it on its own time. You might notice that the bird might go near it, explore inside, or land on it after flying. This act is a positive reaction, and you should make sure that you encourage it so that your pet bird will do it more. You can reinforce this behavior by rewarding your pet with a food treat, playing with them around the backpack, and praising your bird’s good behavior.
- If your bird is not interested in its backpack, the bird will exhibit nervous behavior. You can change this by enticing your bird through some of its favorite toys and treats. You can go for millets because it can work miracles for a bird that is feeling half shy and half reluctant.
- You should never force your bird to come inside the backpack when it is unwilling to. This act can lead to intense psychological trauma for your bird, and this act might lead to the bird not entering your carrier ever again. Remember that the aim is to encourage positive action between the carrier and the bird.
- In a controlled and calm manner, ask your pet bird to step up on your finger, and lead your pet to the perch inside its carrier. If you notice that your pet bird does not like its new setting right away, do not forget the magic of rewarding. Reward! Reward! Reward!
That’s it! We appreciate you for taking the time to learn more about bird carriers. We hope these pieces of information can help you decide on which one can be appropriate for your pet bird. We also hope that you will enjoy all the future adventures awaiting you and your bird once it gets accustomed to its new multi-purpose carrier!